*Key points for learning at home are in this shade of blue
Please try to read every night at home and record it in your child’s reading record. We recommend reading for as many minutes as your child's age, plus four minutes. Don't overdo it and be sure to congratulate yourselves each time!
The teaching of phonics to young children, using Red Rose Letters and Sounds, is a gateway into the world of learning to read and write competently. In Year 1 we continue to teach our children to recognise the sounds of the alphabet, to learn to blend those sounds together in order to read and write words.
Short regular reading sessions really make a difference to the progress your child makes.
If you're keen to lend a helping hand at home but concerned about teaching your child differently from the school, we hear you. Our Curriculum section, located within the School's Policies page, offers detailed insights into the teaching methods we employ across various subjects. From long addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division to English grammar and beyond, you'll find comprehensive guides to ensure consistency and support your child's learning journey. Feel free to explore and access this valuable resource, providing you with the confidence to assist your child's education at home.
In Year 1, we explore a range of subjects, all listed below. For some subjects we provide additional content to give you a deeper understanding of our activities and learning experiences so you can enjoy at home too!
- Bing Bunny
Have fun making a colourful picture with Bing and Flop!
- Class collective worship takes place on Tuesday and Wednesday mornings. You can support your child's spiritual journey by attending church whenever possible at either St Marie's in Haslingden , or St James the Less in Rawtenstall.
- Fruit Fall - A fun way to learn about bar charts and pictograms
- Mostly Postie - a mobile-friendly scale reading game
- St Veronica's PE and Sports Page
Check out our dedicated PE and Sports page
Phonics Play - Buried Treasure
The best and first phonics games website. Click for phonic fun
Phonic Play - Picture Match
Read the word and match the picture
Phonics Play - Free Content
Further free content from the Phonics Play website
- Family - sing John Burland's God's Family
- Belonging - sign John Burland's We welcome you into our Church.
- Waiting - watch the story of Christmas
- The human body - an interactive activity
Labelling the human body
- BBC Bitesize KS1 Science
A gateway to the wonderful world of learning brought to you by the BBC
- Ten Interactive Games linked to KS1 science